Sunday, October 4, 2009

My new friend and reader Nicole tagged me in a photo meme.
The rules are:
1. Go to the first photo album on your computer
2. Go to the 10th picture
3. Post the picture and tell a story about it.
4. Tag 5 more people and let them know.

So, My pictures are in order of date and my picture is of my late grandfather.1939-2008
After being diagnosed with esophageal cancer he had to undergo a procedure that removes most of your esophagus. They attach the top of your stomach to your larynx which makes your stomach very small. He was unable to eat all that much food and went through extensive chemotherapy and radiation. Esophageal cancer is relatively uncommon in the United States, and occurs most often in men over 50 years old. It affects less than 5 in 100,000 people.
He was one of those five ...
This picture was taken Feb. 26, 2006 in the Intensive Care Unit at a hospital in
Valparaiso, Indiana.
My grandpa was unable to speak and my grandmother, aunt, and myself all know sign language. He wrote down on paper that he wished he had learned so that he could communicate with us. So, here is him signing, "I love you"

This next picture is one that I would like to share just because it will go along with the story...
This is a picture of Joe and I the same day wearing the masks for the ICU.
We took a sharpie to draw faces on the masks to make my grandfather laugh.
We made a lot of people laugh that day.

Cancer took my grandfather's life in January 2008



The people in which I would like to tag in this photo meme are:
Becky
Ella Unread
I would tag more people but I do not that many on here that would do it. . .

Have a great day
:-)

Thanks to Nicole for the tagging and for making me smile. If you want to laugh out loud check out Becky's blog...t'was quite funny!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Amber..sigh...your meme touched me...
    Thanks for following btw, there's a traditional greeting "Hope you enjoy. Thanks to you, one day Ella Unread might become Ella Read" (it sucks but well). I will do the meme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a touching post. I don't know whether to smile or cry or both. At first I thought your grandpa was rocking out. Realizing he's giving the sign for "I love you" is so much cuter. Thank you so much for sharing your story! And I really like the inclusion of you in the face masks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies!! You both rock and I love your blogs! have a great day!!! :D

    ReplyDelete